American Campsite and French Army Campsites 34 (south), and 20 (north) in Baltimore/Howard’s Woods

Location


Baltimore, MD

Who?:  American and French
Units:  Bourbonnois, Soissonnois, Saintonge, Royal Deux-Ponts Regiments of Infantry plus regimental artillery and Lauzun's Legion consecutively
Direction:  Both
Destination:  Yorktown, Virginia (French Infantry) and Gloucester Courthouse (Lauzun's hussars) in 1781, Crompond/Yorktown Heights, New York and from there to Boston, Massachusetts (French infantry) and winter quarters in Wilmington, Delaware (Lauzun's Legion)
Date:  September 12/13, 1781, September 12-15, 1781, and July 24 -August 24, 1782
Public Access:  No
Phone Number:  

On September 12, 1781, Continental Army troops under General Benjamin Lincoln camped at this location as did French forces, their fifth camp since departure from their first camp in Providence, Rhode Island, on June 18, 1781. In July-August 1782, Rochambeau’ army camped in a wooded grove in Howard’s Woods, (today’s Mount Vernon neighborhood), near the Basilica of the Assumption in Baltimore, their twentieth camp since departure from Williamsburg, Virginia, on July 1, 1782,