French Army Campsite 17 (south) at Fort Lafayette/Verplanck
Units: Bourbonnois, Soissonnois, Saintonge, Royal Deux-Ponts plus campaign artillery and Lauzun's Legion consecutively
Destination: Yorktown, Virginia (French infantry) and Gloucester Courthouse, Virginia (Lauzun's hussars)
Date: August 22/23, 1781
Public Access: 1
From Hunt’s Tavern, the men took the Crompond Road, more or less SR 202, westward to Peekskill on August 22. From there it was south on South Street to SR 9A and Westchester Street until the banks of the Hudson were reached near Fort Lafayette. Here the infantry went into its sixth camp in the State of New York and the seventeeth camp since departure from their first camp in Providence, Rhode Island, on June 18, 1781.