French Army Campsite 20 (north) in Baltimore/Ridgely’s Delight
301 W Camden St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Units: Bourbonnois, Soissonnois, Saintonge, Royal Deux-Ponts Regiments of Infantry plus regimental artillery and Lauzun's Legion consecutively
Destination: Yorktown, Virginia (French Infantry) and Gloucester Courthouse (Lauzun's hussars)
Date: July 24, 1782 to August 24, 1782
Public Access: Yes
The largest portion of the French Army encamped in Baltimore, their twentieth camp since departure from Williamsburg, Virginia, on July 1, 1782, near the site of Oriole Park at Camden Yards. The troops encamped fronting towards the southwest from this point towards Gwynns Falls. The encampment straddled the road to Frederick. The lower half of the troops were camped partly where the Baseball Stadium sits today. The upper half of the troops were camped around the present day University of Maryland at Baltimore campus. A marker inside the Camden Yards complex commemorates the Washington Rochambeau Revolutionary Route.