French Army Campsite 26 (south) at the Red Lion Inn
Units: Bourbonnois, Soissonnois, Saintonge, Royal Deux-Ponts plus campaign artillery and Lauzun's Legion consecutively
Destination: Yorktown, Virginia (French infantry) and Gloucester Courthouse, Virginia (Lauzun's hussars)
Date: September 2/3 and 3/4, 1781
Public Access: 1
The twenty-sixth French camp site since departure from their first camp in Providence, Rhode Island, on June 18, 1781, at the Red Lion of September 2/3 and 3/4, 1781, was the last stop before the march into Philadelphia. The camps were on the hill on either side of the road ahead, which changes its name from Bristol Pike to Frankford Avenue as it enters the City of Philadelphia and Philadelphia County on the other side of Poquessing Creek.