French Army Campsites 16 (south), and 38 (north) at Hunt’s Tavern
Yorktown Heights, NY
Units: Bourbonnois, Soissonnois, Saintonge, Royal Deux-Ponts plus campaign artillery and Lauzun's Legion consecutively
Destination: Yorktown, Virginia (French infantry) and Gloucester Courthouse (Lauzun's hussars) in 1781, Crompond/Yorktown Heights, New York and from there to Boston, Massachusetts (French infantry) and winter quarters 1782/83 in Wilmington, Delaware (Lauzun's Legion) in 1782
Date: August 21/22, 1781, and September 19 to October 20, 1782
Public Access: No
Only on August 21, 1781, could the French infantry ford the Croton at Pines Bridge and, following the route taken by the artillery and baggage of the center column, reach its sixteenth camp since departure from their first camp in Providence, Rhode Island, on June 18, 1781, some 8 miles away near Hunt’s Tavern, where it spent the night of August 21/22, 1781. From September 17 to October 20, 1782, French forced encamped here in their thirty-eighth camp since departure from Williamsburg, Virginia, on July 1, 1782, In 1782, Rochambeau set up his headquarters with Captain Samuel Delevan at the center of the French infantry camp.