French Army Campsites 22 (south), and 32 (north) at Bullions Tavern/English Farm
Liberty Corner, NJ
Units: Bourbonnois, Soissonnois, Saintonge, Royal Deux-Ponts plus campaign artillery and Lauzun's Legion consecutively.
Destination: Yorktown, Virginia (French infantry) and Gloucester Courthouse, Virginia (hussars of Lauzun's Legion) in 1781, Crompond/Yorktown Heights, New York and from there to Boston, Massachusetts (French infantry) and winter quarters 1782/83 in Wilmington, Delaware (Lauzun's Legion) in 1782
Date: August 29/30, 1781, September 9/10, 1782 (First Brigade) and September 10/11, 1782 (Second Brigade).
Public Access: No
On August 29/30, 1781, and September 9/10, 1782, French forces camped on the grounds of what is today called the “English Farm”, their twenty-second camp since departure from their first camp in Providence, Rhode Island, on June 18, 1781. It is one of few campsites in New Jersey that is still (Summer 2017) farmland and not developed. The First Brigade of the French Army encamped here on 9/10 September 1782, their thirty-second camp since departure from Williamsburg, Virginia,on July 1, 1782. The Second Brigade followed the next day.