French Army Campsites 33 (south), and 21 (north) in White Marsh
Ebenezer Rd., Whitemarsh, Maryland; 0.2 miles west of US 40
White Marsh, MD
Units: Bourbonnois, Soissonnois, Saintonge, Royal Deux-Ponts Regiments of Infantry plus regimental artillery and Lauzun's Legion consecutively
Destination: Yorktown, Virginia (French Infantry) and Gloucester Courthouse (Lauzun's hussars) in 1781, Crompond/Yorktown Heights, New York and from there to Boston, Massachusetts (French infantry) and winter quarters in Wilmington, Delaware (Lauzun's Legion)
Date: September 11/12, 1781 and 24-27 August 1782
Public Access: Yes
White Marsh is the approximate site of the French encampment on September 11/12, 1781, along Honeygo Run, their thirty-third camp since departure from their first camp in Providence, Rhode Island, on June 18, 1781. The French also camped here on their return trip in 1782, their twenty-first camp since departure from their camp in Williamsburg, Virginia,on July 1, 1782. At the time of the march in 1781 the country between Bushtown and Baltimore was described as wooded and the roads as not very good.