French Infantry Campsite 36 (south) at Belvoir/Scotts Plantation

Location

911 Generals Hwy
Crownsville, MD 21108

Who?:  French
Units:  Bourbonnois, Soissonnois, Saintonge, Royal Deux-Ponts Regiments of Infantry plus regimental artillery
Direction:  South
Destination:  Yorktown, Virginia (French Infantry) and Gloucester Courthouse (Lauzun's hussars)
Date:  September 17/18, 1781
Public Access:  No
Phone Number:  

French troops camped here on September 17/18, 1781, their thirty-sixth camp since departure from their first camp in Providence, Rhode Island, on June 18, 1781, and last camp in Maryland for the infantry and campaign artillery. The next day the troops made the short march to Annapolis, Maryland, where they boarded ships sent by Admiral de Grasse from Virginia. The site is owned by Rockbridge Academy, a private, Christian K-12 school.

More Information