Site of Charles Tillinghast House

Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons/Robert Foley

Location

243-245 Thames St.
Newport, RI 2840

Who?:  
Units:  
Direction:  north
Destination:  
Date:  
Public Access:  0
Phone Number:  

The Charles Tillinghast house, built in 1715, provided quarters for the French Intendant Benoit Joseph de Tarle. Commissary of War, Jacques Pierre Orillard, comte de Villemanzy stayed there as well. It was demolished in 1972 or 1973.