- This event has passed.
Gloucester 1776: A Revolutionary Experience
May 21, 2021 - May 23, 2021Free
Saturday, May 22, 2021
10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Sunday, May 23, 2021
10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Rain or Shine
Gloucester Museum of History
6539 Main Street, Gloucester, VA
During the weekend of May 22-23, the Gloucester Museum of History will host Gloucester 1776: A Revolutionary Experience. 245 years ago, in the spring of 1776, the 7th Virginia Regiment was posted in Gloucester County. Ten companies of infantry, including one from Gloucester, assembled at the Courthouse following instructions from the Committee of Safety. By mid-May of 1776, five of those companies were in Williamsburg, but the other five remained in Gloucester. The revolution was in its early days. Was war coming to Gloucester County?
This free and family friendly program will align with Virginia’s Standards of Learning (SOLs) for students of all ages, with emphasis on Virginia studies and the Revolutionary War. The Historic Courtcircle and surrounding areas will come to life with the sights and sounds of the American Revolution. Gloucester 1776: A Revolutionary Experience will show visitors what life for the patriots of 1776 was actually like!
- Feel the ground shake during cannon and musket firing demonstrations
- Experience recruitment and learn to march in formation under the direction of your commanding officer
- Students will be provided an inquiry-based worksheet to inspire critical thinking as they experience American history by interacting with figures from the past
- Engage with dozens of reenactors and learn what life was like for soldiers and civilians in Gloucester during the early days of the Revolution
- Observe campfire cooking and experience colonial era games and music
- Enjoy children’s activities and visit the galleries of the Gloucester Museum of History
- Witness military music as soldiers prepare for battle
Please join us safely; wear a mask and practice social distancing!
For more information: www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/
This program is made possible in partnership with the Gloucester Historical Society, Friends of the Museum, the 7th Virginia Regiment, and Gloucester, Parks, Recreation & Tourism
Contact: Robert Kelly, Museums Coordinator (804-693-1234)