American Campsite and French Army Campsites 34 (south), and 20 (north) in Baltimore/Howard’s Woods

On September 12, 1781, Continental Army troops under General Benjamin Lincoln camped at this location as did French forces, their fifth camp since departure from their first camp in Providence, Rhode Island, on June 18, 1781. In July-August 1782, Rochambeau’ army camped in a wooded grove in Howard’s Woods, (today’s Mount Vernon neighborhood), near the Basilica of the Assumption in Baltimore, their twentieth camp since departure from Williamsburg, Virginia, on July 1, 1782,

Units
Bourbonnois, Soissonnois, Saintonge, Royal Deux-Ponts Regiments of Infantry plus regimental artillery and Lauzun’s Legion consecutively
Date
Direction
Destination
Both
Yorktown, Virginia (French Infantry) and Gloucester Courthouse (Lauzun’s hussars) in 1781, Crompond/Yorktown Heights, New York and from there to Boston, Massachusetts (French infantry) and winter quarters in Wilmington, Delaware (Lauzun’s Legion)
Latitude
Longitude
39.28857235
-76.62183812
Address
Zipcode
City
State
Baltimore
MD
Phone Number