French Army Bivouac/Camp 31 (south), and Camp 23 (north), in Havre de Grace/Lower Ferry

Here at the intersection of Maryland 7 and Old Bay Lane in Havre de Grace was the approximate location of Camp 31 of Rochambeau’s infantry regiments (minus the grenadiers and chasseurs, incl. those of Lauzun’s Legion, embarked at Head of Elk), on September 9/10, 1781. The hussars of Lauzun’s Legion accompanied the Wagon Train and artillery to its crossing of the Susquehannah at Bald Friar’s Ford. On the return trip on August 25/26, 1782, they established a regular camp, Camp 23 since departure from Williamsburg, Virginia, on July 1, 1782. There was no town in existence in 1781. On September 10, 1781, the army continued its march towards Baltimore and the hoped-for transportation waiting for them there.

Units
Bourbonnois, Soissonnois, Saintonge, Royal Deux-Ponts Regiments of Infantry plus regimental artillery
Date
Direction
Destination
Both
Yorktown, Virginia (French Infantry) and Gloucester Courthouse (Lauzun’s hussars) in 1781,
Latitude
Longitude
39.53708401
-76.11194361
Address
Zipcode
Maryland 7 and Old Bay Lane
21078
City
State
Havre de Grace
MD
Phone Number