French Army Campsite 29 (south) in Wilmington

Coming from Chester, Pennsylvania, the First Division of the French Army, more than 2,000 officers and men up to 1,000 horses and oxen, camped on this site on September 6/7, 1781. The Second Brigade will enter its twenty-ninth camp since departure from their first camp in Providence, Rhode Island, on June 18, 1781, on September 7/8, 1781, in Newport.

Units
Bourbonnois, Royal Deux-Ponts Regiments of Infantry plus regimental artillery and Lauzun’s Legion consecutively
Date
Direction
Destination
north
Yorktown, Virginia (French Infantry) and Gloucester Courthouse (Lauzun’s hussars)
Latitude
Longitude
39.74128118
-75.55862902
Address
Zipcode
City
State
Wilmington
DE
Phone Number