French Infantry Campsite 36 (south) at Belvoir/Scotts Plantation

French troops camped here on September 17/18, 1781, their thirty-sixth camp since departure from their first camp in Providence, Rhode Island, on June 18, 1781, and last camp in Maryland for the infantry and campaign artillery. The next day the troops made the short march to Annapolis, Maryland, where they boarded ships sent by Admiral de Grasse from Virginia. The site is owned by Rockbridge Academy, a private, Christian K-12 school.

Units
Bourbonnois, Soissonnois, Saintonge, Royal Deux-Ponts Regiments of Infantry plus regimental artillery
Date
Direction
Destination
north
Yorktown, Virginia (French Infantry) and Gloucester Courthouse (Lauzun’s hussars)
Latitude
Longitude
39.02362985
-76.58226445
Address
Zipcode
911 Generals Hwy
21108
City
State
Crownsville
MD
Phone Number