- Skilled communicator with strong track record of award-winning results
- Managed staff of 140 as Executive Director and Foundation President
- Leadership and Support for NJN Foundation Board and New Jersey Public Broadcasting Authority Boards and Committees
- More than 20 years experience with a proven track record of successful engagement of prospective donors and closing gifts through a strategic approach
- Built brand awareness and effectively offered testimony to continue budget support
- Secured press coverage in local and national print publications and on broadcast outlets
- Researched, Wrote and Produced Web Videos for the New Jersey Health Initiatives and National Association for Community College Entrepreneurship
- Negotiated major deals generating more than $30 million dollars
- Developed new projects and raised from $50,000 to $350,000 to produce these programs
- Designed and executed fundraising events that generated between $45,000 and $1.2 million
- Identified opportunities for Major Donor support from $15,000 to $450,000 and secured that support
- Cultivated donors and provided stewardship
- Maintained and grew partnerships
- Closed deals for major project and general underwriting support
- Certified Public Manager with a Master in Public Administration
October 2017 to Present
- Executive Director, Crossroads of the American Revolution National Heritage Area
Chief Executive of Non profit that is one of 49 National Heritage Areas and the only one exclusively created to promote and enhance New Jersey’s Revolutionary-era historical sites and landscapes.
Sept. 2016 to Nov. 2017
- Development Consultant for The Foundation of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
Wrote a Fundraising Plan for the NATAS Foundation, designed a brochure about NATAS Scholarships for talented students who want to pursue careers in digital and broadcast media and organized house parties to raise monies for these scholarships provided by the NATAS Foundation.
- Communications Director, New Jersey Work Environment Council May 11, 2015 to October 1, 2016
Wrote and Placed Op-ed pieces in The Star Ledger, NJ Spotlight, The Times of Trenton, The Home News Tribune and Asbury Park Press. Generated earned media on radio, television and in print. Produced and placed Public Service Announcements on radio and television stations.
Appeared as a spokesperson on radio and television interview programs and encouraged news coverage of health and safety issues and events. Conducted media training for non-profits.
- Acting Director, New Jersey Work Environment Council February 2015 to May 11, 2015
- Served as Acting Executive Director of the New Jersey Work Environment Council (WEC) during the search for a permanent Executive Director. WEC is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit alliance of 70 New Jersey labor, community and environmental organizations working together for safe, secure jobs and a healthy, sustainable environment.
- Communications Coordinator, Safer After Sandy July 2013 to February 2015
- Managed OSHA grant for the New Jersey Work Environment Council for training and media campaign to encourage safe and healthy rebuilding after Hurricane Sandy. Wrote, produced and placed Public Service Announcements, arrange and managed Media Partnerships for print and broadcast, schedule interviews and identify experts, and created print pieces and brochures.
Freelance Work Experience
2011 to Present
- Governors’ Perspectives with Kent Manahan, raised funds to bring point-counterpoint monthly interviews with Former New Jersey Governors back to NJTV. Serve as series Senior Producer.
- Produced Voices from Our Community, Keynote Conference video about poverty in Mercer County for the Princeton Area Community Foundation October 2016 to November 2016
- Served as Producer/Executive Producer for a series of videos about non-profit grantees of the New Jersey Health Initiatives, the New Jersey fundraising arm of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. 2016
- Served as Producer/Executive Producer for a series of videos about Entrepreneurial Activities at Community Colleges. 2016
- Developed programs and raised funds to produce– HealthBeat with Sara Lee Kessler, raised $50,000 to produce the pilot for a new health series and another $50,000 for two additional programs. Served as Executive Producer and Producer for the series. Arranged for programs to air on WHYY and NJTV
- Celebration of Heroes, Director of Media and Sponsorship Services, identified media sponsors for major event honoring the military in Wildwood, N.J
- Bill of Rights Event consultant, ACLU of Pennsylvania, doubled Silent Auction proceeds from prior year, produced video and was liaison with caterer and facility
- Raices De Buena Salud/Roots of Good Health, raised $50,000 for the production of a public television special concerning Latino Health issues narrated by John Quinones. Served as co-Executive Producer.
NJN Public Television and Radio
- Held many key roles culminating in Acting Executive Director /General Manager of NJN Public Television and Radio
- Managed staff of 140 employees in Radio and Television
- Served as Chief Spokesperson and testified before legislative hearings
- Raised revenue for operations and projects
- Negotiated multiple contracts including 30-year Education Broadband Spectrum (EBS) Leases generating more than $30 million
Acting President of the NJN Foundation
- Chief fundraiser for the Foundation, the 501(c)(3) to support NJN Public Television and Radio. Increased revenue and secured funds from individuals, foundations and corporations for projects and general operating support. Managed Legacy Award events that raised $40,000 in the homes of individual donors
Acting Chief Operating Officer, NJN
- Eliminated more than $1 million dollars in expenses, managed budgets, streamlined production costs. Served as a key manager for NJN’s Gala and Legacy Award Also served as Temporary Acting Executive Director of NJN and Temporary Acting President of the NJN Foundation.
Deputy Executive Director for Programming and Production
- Supervised all production, producer/directors, programming, web, budgeting and program development, identified funding for specials and series. Secured Major Gift funding and worked on the NJN Gala that generated between $800,000 and $1.4 million. Produced and Served as Executive Producer for a number of documentaries that aired nationally on PBS. Documentaries include: Battered Wives: Shattered Lives, Domestic Violence Faces of Fear, Reliving the Lindbergh Case, Throwaway Pets, Decoding Autism and Speak of Me As I Am.
Director of Production
- Supervised production and graphics departments, managed production and contracts. Worked with Staff and Independent Producers.
Production Executive and Executive Producer
- Streamlined production and developed award-winning national and local productions
Closer Look and Documentary Producer
- Researcher and Associate Producer, Channel 2 Eye On, Emmy–award winning documentary series
- Associate Producer and Studio Floor Producer for On Your Side With John Stossel, Emmy-award winning consumer program
- Adjunct Professor, Communication Studies, The College of New Jersey 1990-2009, 2014 to present
Courses include History of Cable and Broadcasting, Writing and Announcing for Broadcast and Documentary Workshop
- Adjunct Professor, Paul F. Harron Graduate Program in TV Management, Drexel University 2012 to present
- Taught Managing News and Sports and serve as Thesis Advisor for students
- Adjunct Professor, Broadcast Newswriting, Rutgers University 1985-1988
Taught Broadcast Newswriting
- Staff Reporter, Asbury Park Press—1977
- Freelance Writer—The New York Times, The Home News, and Philadelphia Magazine— 1977
- Jack Anderson—Wrote for Anderson’s syndicated column, Good Morning America segments, Mutual Radio spots and Economic Newsletter- 1976
- The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences—Served as Second Vice Chairman, National Secretary, National Trustee, Member of the Scholarship, Legal and National Awards Committees; Past President of the Board of Governors of the Mid-Atlantic Chapter. Current member of Scholarship Committee.
- Member of Broadcast Pioneers
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Panelist
- Member Advisory Award Committee of the Russ Berrie Award for Making a Difference
- Master’s of Public Administration, Rutgers University 1995
- BA in Journalism with Highest Distinction, Phi Beta Kappa, Pennsylvania State University 1976
- Certified Public Manager
- Eleven Mid-Atlantic Emmy Awards, Three New York Emmy Awards, Five Cine Golden Eagle Awards, The Genesis Award for Throwaway Pets, documentary hosted and narrated by Betty White, National Headliner Award for Domestic Violence Project hosted and narrated by Ed Asner, AWRT Commendation Award for Women, Power and Politics, The Vanguard Award from Women in Communications.