Robert Bruce Donald
Council, Inc. 2001-2016
President; Board of Directors Tariffville, CT
The FVTC’s mission statement is “To complete a connected, off-road system of multi-use trails in central Connecticut, while building, maintaining, beautifying, and encouraging the safe use of such trails for the betterment of our communities.” This 1,000-member 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization founded in 1992, advocates for the completion and benefits of the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail and the Farmington River Trail. During my presidency, the organization’s membership has grown 500% and the audited annual budget has gone from $7,100 to $38,000, making the FVTC one of the largest such organizations in Connecticut. The FVTC has successfully converted over $163,000 in grants for various projects and donated over $315,000 in targeted grants for trail-related projects. Many other substantial initiatives have been successfully launched.
Personal duties include all of the written and web-based content, public speaking and communications, building alliances with federal, State, town and advocacy organizations, and much more. I sit on multiple boards and speak at events across the eastern U.S. having become one of the more recognized advocates in the state. I remain on the Board of Directors. Please visit www.fchtrail.org for more information.
Donald Reading & Writing 2011-2016
Principal Farmington, CT
School age tutoring of children one-on-one or in very small groups in core curriculums designed to increase their base knowledge through processes taught as life-long skill sets. Movement is then made beyond grade level to tackle advanced content that will ensure their excellence in school. Focus is on sound study techniques and work habits that will enable students to excel through college and beyond. SAT and ACT tutoring is a specialty.
Argyll Associates LLC 2000-2010
President/Managing Partner Farmington, CT
Sole proprietor of a consultancy to numerous corporations of various sizes, from start-up to established entities. Specialties have included management consultancy, start-up financing, deal origination, structuring and syndication. Advisory activities have been carried out for firms such as Rare Medium, Inc., Fluid Motion Biotechnologies, Inc., and Multiple Choice Software Company, Inc., among others. Other activities have included raising funds for both money managers and private and public companies, technical financial writing of 10-K’s, annuals, offering documents, business plans, and many other strategic marketing documents. During this period, four significant and lengthy jobs were undertaken with me taking a leading role in the development of each, as well as Argyll taking equity participation.
Enterprise Interactive, Inc. 1998-2000
Chief Executive Officer, Senior Consultant South Norwalk, CT
As CEO of Ei, an eleven-employee boutique agency that specialized in internet content development and marketing, I worked with a range of Internet retailers, financial services firms, consulting firms, technology companies, and other clients, helping to plan site-development strategy, on-line marketing and e-commerce programs, and strategic alliances. We also provided custom content for client sites, ranging from splash page updating to daily, weekly, and monthly publications crafted to appeal to targeted Internet users, as by-lined, opt-in e-mail or stand-alone content. I also wrote many financial pieces for our clients.
Enterprise Interactive helped to shape a number of online success stories for several significant clients, including online travel vendor 1travel.com, BankOne’s Internet strategy, Ernst &Young’s business-to-business online consulting tool Ernie, and the strategy and content execution behind FitnessZone, an early e-commerce success. Enterprise Interactive also worked extensively on Internet projects with Goldman Sachs & Co., Deloitte & Touche, Networks Telephony Corporation, Copernicus Interactive, and numerous other online and “real world” firms. Internal corporate duties above and beyond day-to-day operations included acting as CFO and performing budgeting, accounting and banking functions. Ei was sold and integrated into an internet start-up in 2000.
Grove Investment Group, Inc. 1997-98
Marketing Advisor, Fund Director Hartford, CT
Responsible for the development and implementation of an institutional marketing strategy and presence for the firm’s equity and debt alternative real estate products. Intregal in the formation of a real estate debt limited partnership, Grove Mortgage Securities Fund, LP, an innovative fund that invests in the subordinated credits of an emerging commercial mortgage-backed securities market. Generated all marketing materials including a company brochure and investment review. Set up performance reporting standards and processes. Initiated marketing to qualified funds, endowments and institutions. The LP was subsequently sold to a large bond insurer for its personal account.
China Industrial Development Corp./GLD Group, Inc. 1996-99
Chief Financial Officer New York, NY Chengdu, Sichuan, PRC 3
GLD started out as a corporation formed to design and produce hybrid electric/gas powered vehicles. The principals had completed and sold a variety of custom cars in clean fuel and composite material models. GLD signed a contract in 1998 to develop a composite body, hybrid-electric automobile, with Sichuan’s NCH Huatong Motors. GLD also had a project in advanced negotiations that would incorporate its advanced technologies in a composite bus for the Chinese and world markets that would have reduced emissions, improved fuel economy, advanced safety and performance features, and significantly lower life-cycle costs.
The firm’s engineering principals had designed, developed, constructed and operated many industrial power plant projects, as well as published many technical and scientific papers and books. Leveraging the successful completion of contracts for public transit properties, power authorities, and many public companies in the U.S., as well as the contract negotiations for the hybrid car, CIDC was developed to design and build power plants in China. We opened an office in Chengdu, partnering with Design Power New Zealand Ltd. proceeding with negotiations in Beijing. Working in concert with the Sichuan Provincial and local governments substantial projects were in the funding stage when the Huatong Motors car project ground to a halt when they could not fund a second round of financing. Limited working capital forced the break-up of the firm and our return to the U.S. Former principals of the firm still do business in these fields in North Carolina, New York and Texas.
Innovative Research Associates, Inc. / Murdoch Capital 1995-97
Advisory Board, Consultant New York, NY
Engaged in the formation of both public and private equity deals, corporate finance services, and marketing services to public companies. Actively participated in the formation and planning of numerous deals, wrote business and marketing plans, and raised funds for both private placements and bridge/mezzanine financings. Companies included Kfx Incorporated (KFX-AMEX) (bridge, Reg. S and stock promotion), and private equity such as International Pet Foods, Inc.
Oak Hall Capital Advisors, LP 1993-95
Vice President, Marketing and Administration New York, NY
Oak Hall is the public arm of the private family investment office of the William Rosenwald Family, founded upon the Sears Roebuck fortune. I was responsible for marketing Oak Hall’s “alternative” products to consultants, endowments, foundations, fund-of-funds, and high net worth individuals. Total estimated funds raised totaled $150 million, personally or in conjunction with staff. Oak Hall at its peak managed over $600 million.
• Created and managed the strategic business plan for the Oak Hall Equity Fund, a no-load mutual fund. The mutual fund added 810 new accounts in this period.
• Primary responsibility for marketing Oak Hall Investors LP, a small-cap contrarian hedge fund. Conducted back-testing project to show top 15 holdings as a proxy for the strategy, using 8 years of independent data.
• Substantial marketing to Smith Barney through their wrap-fee program, and Prudential Securities through their Target Program.
• Nation-wide travel for purposes of client meetings, broker seminars and presentations.
• Redesigned marketing and presentation materials to include more comprehensive technical risk data in graphic formats. Completed performance analysis projects both for the firm’s core products and new products.
• Responsible for portfolio rebalancing and modeling using my own proprietary spreadsheet analyses.
Kidder, Peabody & Co., Inc. 1992-1993
Legg Mason Wood Walker, Inc. 1988-1992
(Bought out Moseley office in 1988) Hartford, CT
Moseley, Hallgarten, Estabrook & Weeden 1985-1988
Full service stockbroker and investment advisor serving individual and corporate accounts. Member of marketing team at Kidder, Peabody which actively prospected through database management, marketing through mailings, public and corporate seminar series on estate planning, and other topics, and using personally generated research and marketing materials to identify investment opportunities. Areas of expertise include portfolio management, fee-based management, trading, equity due diligence, public speaking, insurance products, and municipal markets. Held federal NASD Series 7, 63, 65 and CT Life Insurance licenses.
• Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT. Bachelor of Arts 1983.5, Political Science
Course work in history, economics and Buddhist philosophy.
• Trinity College, Hartford, CT, Master of Arts 2007, History
Specializing in American Civil War Studies.
SELECTED PUBLISHED WORKS
• Manhood and Patriotic Awakening in the American Civil War: The John E. Mattoon Letters, 1859-1866. Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 2008. [Nominated for the Military Order of St. Louis Award]
• Various Short Essays: http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/51374/robert_bruce_donald.html
• Farmington Canal Heritage Trail and Farmington River Trail Guide. Tariffville, CT: Farmington Valley Trails Council, 2009. [22-page guide with 11 maps and text]
• A Talk on Rochambeau’s Trek through CT. Bolton Land Trust Video 2020:
• Why Build Multi-Use Greenways? Implications for New Jersey and Beyond. Visiting Doctoral Lecture Series Montclair State University, Nov. 19, 2019.
• Chairman, (Appointed) Governor’s Connecticut Greenways Council. Appointed by Speaker of the House Brendan Sharkey in 2014 to provide leadership in the coordination of state agencies, municipalities, regional planning organizations and private citizens in voluntarily planning and implementing a system of greenways in Connecticut. www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/
• Director, (past president) Farmington Valley Trails Council www.fchtrail.org
• Director, Farmington Canal Rail to Trail Association
• Member, (Appointed) CTDOT I-84 Plan Public Advisory Committee
• Member, Founder, 12-Town Air Line Trail Alliance
• Member, (Appointed) Farmington Bicycle Advisory Committee
• Director, Bike/Walk Avon
• Director, Merritt Parkway Trail Alliance
• Director, Simsbury Bike/Ped Advisory Board
• Member, Capital Region Council of Governments Bike/Ped Advisory Board
• Member, Hartford Complete Streets Alliance
• Director, Founder, Connecticut Trail Census www.CTTrailCensus.uconn.edu
• Director, Founder, CT Outdoor Recreation Association https://www.ctoutdoors.org/
• BOA, US Horse Welfare & Rescue Org. https://ushorsewelfare.org/
• President, Col. Wadsworth Branch #7, CT Sons of the American Revolution, #168294, Member, Board of Managers; Editor, Connecticut Line Newsletter, State Auditor.
• Member, Order of Founders and Patriots of America, #6322
• Member, General Society of Mayflower Descendants, #98992
• State of Connecticut General Assembly Official Citation, April 2016, Recognition of years of service as President of the Farmington Valley Trails Council. Recognition of building trails in CT and moving the 200 miles of the East Coast Greenway in CT forward, and as a regional force in bicycle and pedestrian advocacy.
• Golden Spike Award, July 2018, Massachusetts Central Rail Trail Coalition; MCRT recognized R. Bruce Donald – “In appreciation for all your years of work in developing trails in your community, region, and state.”
• People’s Choice Award, October 2018, Bike/Walk Connecticut; “Recognition for decades of mentorship in not-for-profit trails development in the State of Connecticut”.
COMPETENCIES & INTERESTS
• Public Speaking
• Writing & Editing
• Non-Profit Management
• Personal Computers, Office Suite
• Sales & Strategic Policy
• American History
• Offshore Sailing
• Home Remodeling
• Reading & Literature
• Book Collecting
• Alpine Skiing: Instructor/Racer